(Post updated: July 19, 2018)
Whether he was teaching music theory on television or his music was making audiences dance, laugh, and cry in theaters, Leonard Bernstein came alive on the silver screen.
This summer, opportunities abound for you to experience Bernstein film favorites on big and small screens. Scroll to discover when and how to watch.
Turner Classic Movies, July 20-22, 2018
Turner Classic Movies brings you a selection of the best of Leonard Bernstein’s music for theater and full-length films, combined with a selection of his musical education excellence, right to your living room or favorite device.
- How to watch: TV, computer, mobile device (subscription required)
- When: July 20-22, 2018
Learn more about these Bernstein favorites before you watch. Complete schedules below.
- West Side Story (1961)
- On the Town (1949)
- On the Waterfront (1954)
- Young People’s Concerts (1958 – 1972)
- Omnibus (1952 – 1961)
This July we're highlighting SOTM Steve McQueen, our Spotlight on 50 States in 50 Movies, an evening of classic comedy teams, Slavery in Film with Donald Bogle, and #BernsteinAt100!
— TCM (@tcm) July 1, 2018
(All times EST)
Friday, July 20
- 8:00 PM — West Side Story (1961)
- 10:45 PM — On the Town (1949)
- 12:30 AM — On the Waterfront (1954)
Saturday, July 21
- 8:00 PM — Young Peoples Concert: What Does Music Mean (1958)
- 9:15 PM — Young Peoples Concert: Humor in Music (1959)
- 10:30 PM — Young Peoples Concert: What is a Mode (1966)
- 11:45 PM — Young Peoples Concert: Toast to Vienna in ¾ Time (1967)
- 1:00 AM — Young Peoples Concert: Quiz-Concert: How Musical Are You? (1968)
Sunday, July 22
- 8:00 PM — Omnibus: Leonard Bernstein, Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony (1954)
- 9:30 PM — Omnibus: Leonard Bernstein, The World of Jazz (1955)
- 10:15 PM — Omnibus: Leonard Bernstein, The Art of Conducting (1955)
- 11:15 PM — Omnibus: Leonard Bernstein, American Musical Comedy (1956)
- 12:15 AM — Omnibus: Leonard Bernstein, Introduction to Modern Music (1957)
- 1:45 AM — Omnibus: Leonard Bernstein, The Music of Johann Sebastian Bach (1957)
The Paley Center, Sundays in August 2018
Throughout August, the Paley Center brings screenings of Bernstein’s television and documentary highlights to New York and Los Angeles.
- How to watch: Visit the Paley Center for Media in New York and Los Angeles — admission is free.
- When: Sundays, August 5, 12, 19, and 26
— Paley Center (@paleycenter) July 15, 2018
Sunday, August 5
- 12:15 PM — NBC Opera Theatre: Trouble in Tahiti
- 1:00 PM — Compilation Reel: On the Town
- 1:10 PM — Wonderful Town
Sunday, August 12
- 12:15 PM — Leonard Bernstein and the New York Philharmonic: The Creative Performer
- 1:15 PM — CBS News Special: Inside Pop: The Rock Revolution
- 2:10 PM — New York Philharmonic Young People’s Concerts: Bach Transmogrified
Sunday, August 19
- 12:15 PM — American Masters: Leonard Bernstein: Reaching for the Note
- 2:15 PM — Candide
Sunday, August 25
- 12:15 PM — Bernstein at 60: An Appreciation: Live from Wolf Trap
- 3:15 PM — Great Performances: Bernstein Conducts West Side Story
Opera North’s “Trouble in Tahiti”
- How to watch: Press play below. To see closed captions, please click the “CC” button. To watch with audio described, please click here.
- When: Available for free now through August 10, 2018
In 1950s suburbia, Sam and Dinah appear to have the perfect life in their little white house. But their growing detachment exposes a mutual feeling that they are trapped in a life that has turned into a lie. Sam escapes to the hyper-masculine, win-or-lose world of work and the gym, while Dinah loses herself in the movies, where the hit picture of the day is the ominously-titled Trouble in Tahiti.
West Side Story (Film with Live Orchestra)
Orchestras across the globe are treating audiences to a full multimedia experience: West Side Story (the film), accompanied by live musicians. Here are upcoming performances to add to your social calendar:
- Boston Symphony at Tanglewood (Lenox, Massachusetts): July 28, 2018
- San Diego Symphony (San Diego, California): August 10, 2018
- Melbourne Symphony Orchestra (Australia) July 27 & 28, 2018
- Kyodo Tokyo (Japan) August 4 & 5, 2018
- Rheingau Musik Festival (Germany) August 18, 2018
- Gstaad Menuhin Festival (Switzerland) August 18, 2018
More Bernstein on Film
Bernstein Conducts Mahler 2 (Concert Film)
- Ely Cathedral (United Kingdom): August 4, 2018
West Side Story (Film)
- Aldeburgh Cinema (United Kingdom): August 25, 2018
We’ll continue to update this post as official Bernstein at 100 summer film screenings are confirmed. Submit your event to the Leonard Bernstein Office for consideration. Send us tips via email or DM @ClassicalOrg.
More Bernstein at 100
- Watch more of our favorite Bernstein videos
- What are your favorite films of or by Bernstein? Tell us via social media! Tag @ClassicalOrg on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter and use hashtags #Bernsteinat100 #classical.
- Watch more videos from Turner Classic Movies, the Paley Center, and Opera North.
- Enjoy our summer theater preview of where to watch West Side Story and the best of Bernstein theater
- Use the tags below to discover more about Bernstein.