Love the music of Leonard Bernstein? There are hundreds of live music concerts and performances honoring the music, life and legacy of Bernstein this month. Here are a few of our favorites from Tanglewood to Taipei!
And, if you love a good musical, enjoy a preview of this summer’s best of Bernstein in the theater and on the screen.
Sutton Foster and Brian Stokes Mitchell join Gustavo Dudamel and the Los Angeles Philharmonic at the Hollywood Bowl for a vibrant evening of Bernstein favorites.
The New York Philharmonic returns to Bravo! Vail for their 16th annual summer residency, featuring two concerts of Bernstein music!
- New York Philharmonic | July 20 | Bernstein on Broadway
- New York Philharmonic | July 21 | Gershwin and Bernstein: Chichester Psalms
Marin Alsop leads a thrilling performance of MASS with the Chicago Symphony at the Ravinia Festival.
We can’t wait to see Olney Theatre’s rendition of On the Town!
The Tanglewood Music Festival celebrates 100 years of Bernstein throughout its 2018 season! We’re particularly excited for On The Town (July 7), a stellar work brought to life by the Boston Pops; and Trouble in Tahiti (July 12), directed by Bernstein’s eldest daughter, Jamie Bernstein, author of the acclaimed memoir, Famous Father Girl.
Tanglewood Music Festival
- July 5 | Variations on an Octatonic Scale
- July 7 | On the Town
- July 12 | Trouble in Tahiti
- July 15 | Chichester Psalms
- July 21 | Halil
- July 23 | Facsimile
- July 28 | West Side Story
— Tanglewood MusicFest (@TanglewoodMA) June 27, 2018
Life is happiness, indeed, in Santa Fe Opera’s first ever production of Candide!
Our website posed the question: "Is CANDIDE the best of all possible ways to launch our 62nd season?" And @BroadwayWorld gave the answer: "After the opening night performance, the answer is a resounding 'Yes.'" https://t.co/SvoK4LDTGz
(Photo: Ken Howard) pic.twitter.com/7mvTCzGWt1
— Santa Fe Opera (@santafeopera) July 2, 2018
Did you know that Bernstein wrote a Peter Pan musical? Head to Bard College in Annandale-on-Hudson to see for yourself!
The #MostlyMozart Festival is right around the corner! Join us for a thrilling slate of international dance, theater, and classical music with presentations here at Lincoln Center, and in Central Park & Brooklyn! July 12-August 12 >> https://t.co/oiECrinTyR pic.twitter.com/vwiG2TwlpM
— Lincoln Center (@LincolnCenter) July 2, 2018
Brevard Music Center hosts a Bernstein “festival within a festival” featuring performances of some of Bernstein’s best works.
Brevard Music Center
- July 9 | Bernstein & Friends
- July 13 | Chichester Psalms, Age of Anxiety
- July 14 | West Side Story
- July 15 | Multimedia Young People’s Concert
- July 26, 28 | Candide
Another production of Candide? This really must be the best of all possible worlds!
This July, join us for #OperaWeek at Banff Centre! Five Shows. Five Nights. Immerse yourself in the arts & enjoy:
Orphée+ – July 12 & 14
Chamber Werx – July 11 & 13
Candide – July 15 in the outdoor Shaw Ampitheatre
— Banff Centre (@banffcentre) July 4, 2018
The MIAGI Youth Orchestra celebrates the 100th birthdays of both Leonard Bernstein and Nelson Mandela at the Schleswig-Holstein Music Festival.
- Schleswig-Holstein Music Festival | July 26 | Bernstein’s Prelude, Fugue & Riffs – 100 Years Mandela
See a famous all-female musical theatre troupe perform Bernstein’s classic musical, West Side Story! Plus, the Pacific Music Festival presents a selection of Bernstein’s best.
- Takarazuka Revue | July 24 – Aug 9 | West Side Story
Pacific Music Festival
- July 7 | West Side Story Overture, Candide Overture
- July 21, 22 | Fancy Free, Serenade, Age of Anxiety
- July 29 | “Glitter and Be Gay” from Candide, Halil
- July 31 | Halil
— PMF2018 (@PMF_Sapporo) June 28, 2018
Sasha Cooke and Kelly Markgraf star in Trouble in Tahiti at the National Concert Hall in Taipei.
These are just a few of the amazing Bernstein performances this month. Find more #Bernsteinat100 events: type in your city, state, or country, and click “FIND” to explore events near you!
- Attending an event? Tell us by tagging @ClassicalOrg on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram with hashtag #Bernsteinat100. You might appear in one of our next social media round-ups!
- Want to see YOUR Bernstein event on our calendar? Submit your event to the Leonard Bernstein Office for consideration. Email us for more information.