Love the music of Leonard Bernstein? Attend a few Leonard Bernstein Centennial concerts, performances, and special events near you; there are more than 2,500 events celebrating the music and legacy of the iconic composer, conductor, educator, and humanitarian in 60 countries and all 50 United States.
Here is a sampling of celebrations you won’t want to miss in May 2018. Celebrate Bernstein at 100 (#Bernsteinat100) wherever you are!
Immerse yourself in the GRAMMY Foundation’s “Bernstein at 100” exhibition, housed all month (and through the summer) at the Skirball Center in Los Angeles.
- GRAMMY Museum | Runs through September 2 | Leonard Bernstein at 100
Experience “Trouble In Tahiti” like never before — on ice! Bask in a series of tributes from the one and only Boston Pops.
- Boston Lyric Opera | May 11 – May 20 | Trouble in Tahiti
- Boston Pops | May 11 – May 30 | Leonard Bernstein Centennial Tribute
Celebrate Bernstein with a bouquet of concerts from the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra – and the iconic voice of NPR’s Scott Simon.
- Baltimore Symphony Orchestra | May 4 | Bernstein Birthday Bouquet
- Baltimore Symphony Orchestra | May 5 | Salute to Bernstein with NPR’s Scott Simon
Enjoy a glittering, intimate portrait of Bernstein’s life, narrated by his daughter, Jamie Bernstein.
- Gilmore Festival | May 3 | Late Night with Leonard Bernstein
Spring into song with Audra McDonald at the New York Philharmonic. Dance the night away in New York City Ballet’s Jerome Robbins celebration. Cap it all off with a whole day full of Bernstein concerts, discussions, and more!
- New York Philharmonic | May 1 | Spring Gala with Audra McDonald
- New York City Ballet | May 3 – May 20 | Tribute to Jerome Robbins
- Symphony Space | May 19 | Wall-to-Wall Leonard Bernstein
Join the chorus with Jamie Bernstein and the Houston Chamber Choir.
- Houston Chamber Choir | May 12 | Tonight, Tonight Won’t Be Just Any Night
Revel in a rollicking “Candide” at the Kennedy Center. Study up on Bernstein with the Library of Congress. Then, join Jamie Bernstein for a blockbuster “Late Night with Leonard Bernstein!”
- Washington National Opera | May 5 – May 26 | Candide
- Library of Congress | May 18 | Leonard Bernstein’s America
- The Phillips Collection | May 20 | Late Night with Leonard Bernstein
These are just a few of the amazing Bernstein performances and events this month. Find more #Bernsteinat100 events: type in your city, state, or country, and click “FIND” to explore events near you!
- Attending an event? Tell us by tagging @ClassicalOrg on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram with hashtag #Bernsteinat100. You might appear in one of our next social media round-ups!
- Want to see YOUR Bernstein event on our calendar? Submit your event to the Leonard Bernstein Office for consideration. Email us for more information.